Pullman Tourist-Sleeper Car 470.
History: On August 8th, 1889 the Pullman Palace Car Company was contracted by the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad (D&RG) to construct a series of ten coaches called Tourist Sleepers. These cars were constructed for the narrow gauge and equipped with the narrower 3-foot trucks. The coaches provided inexpensive transportation to the Western frontier that the railroad helped open up in 1860. Pullman plan 701 was utilized and lot number 1612 was developed to meet the specific requirements of the contract. Starting in August of 1889 construction began on the car series numbered 461 through 470. This series of car remained in service on the narrow gauge until the demand for travel to the mining towns subsided. In May 1898 the D&RG sold Car 470 to the Colorado and Northwestern (C&NW) when it was renumbered as Car 9. On March 29, 1909 after encountering financial problems the C&NW reorganized as the Denver Boulder & Western (DB&W) and once again renumbered it, this time as Car 21. In August or September of 1919 the DB&W sold coach Car 21 to Morse Brothers Machinery Supply Company in Denver. That same year Western Union purchased DB&W Car 21 and renumbered it WU Outfit Car 301. In November 1933 Western Union fell on hard times and abandoned Car 301 along the D&RGW line near Gunnison. At Gunnison, after receipt of the abandon car deed, entered WU Outfit Car 301 into the D&RGW inventory in November 1933 and assigned it as Outfit Car 0252. In 1947, Car 0252 was utilized as the REA office and Freight Station during remodeling of the Passenger Station at Monte Vista, Colorado. Sometime after that it was converted to a Kitchen-Diner which it remained until retired from service in December 1953. The car was dismantled at the D&RGW Alamosa Shops where running gear and trucks were removed and the car body sold to a rancher in the Valley. In 1963, Bernie Watts purchased the car body from the rancher in the San Luis Valley and moved the car body to property in the Chama Valley. The Friends of the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad purchased the car body of Car 0252 from Bernie Watts and in 1994 moved the car body to the north yard at Chama for storage awaiting restoration.